I'd like to know if there are some methods to correct a specific misclassified instance of interest (e.g. in a Logistic Regression or Random Forest).

Like maybe increasing the error for that particular observation or some other approach.


  • $\begingroup$ Have a look at boosting. $\endgroup$ Commented Mar 13, 2023 at 9:27
  • $\begingroup$ I'm familiar with that but is it possible to boost one particular instance? $\endgroup$
    – Metrician
    Commented Mar 13, 2023 at 9:36
  • $\begingroup$ No. You can use class weight in case of classification (if you want to go down that road). $\endgroup$ Commented Mar 13, 2023 at 9:41
  • $\begingroup$ Random Forest and Logistic Regression objectives are very different. With logistic regression, you can adapt the objective for what you are looking for. Not in Random Forest which is entropy based $\endgroup$
    – qmeeus
    Commented Mar 13, 2023 at 11:18
  • $\begingroup$ I see. So other than that are there no other known methods to correct one misclassified instance? $\endgroup$
    – Metrician
    Commented Mar 14, 2023 at 14:51


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.