I work in an analytical role at a a large financial services firm. We do a ton of daily reporting over metrics that rarely change in a meaningful way from day to day. From this daily reporting, our management is required to extract what was important yesterday and what important trends have developed / are developing over time.
I want to change this to a model of daily exception reporting and weekly trend reporting.
Features might include:
- User report consolidation (so there's only one daily email)
- report ordering based upon level of variance from past performance (see the most important stuff first)
- HTML email support (with my audience, pretty counts)
- Web interface to allow preference changes, including LDAP support (make administration easier)
- Unsubscribe feature at the report level
Here's what I'd like to know:
- What are the practical problems I might run into?
- What is the best way to display the new reports?
- How should I define an "exception"? How can I know if my definition is a good one?
- I assume I'd be using a mix of Python, SQL, and powershell. Anything else I should consider, e.g. R? What are some good resources?