Is there a 'proper' term for an ID (or IDs) that have been superseded by (or merged into) another ID?

My use case:

  • rsIDs are used by geneticists to refer to a SNP. These take the form of a string 'rs#####'
  • Over time, some of these rsIDs are merged into others when it becomes evident that they refer to the same SNP with another rsID. eg rs879161658
  • it is useful to keep track of these old identifier(s) that were used, even when using the latest rsID as the canonical identifier. rs879161658 will still be found in some legacy resources
  • it is not possible to control the creation or naming of these rsIDs

I've considered AKA, alias, and even Née (born as) but is there something traditionally used? I could ask this on a language-focused stackexchange but here seems like it would be more useful


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.