- I'm helping a researcher programmatically classify ~123,000 US Government court case files stored in plaintext.
- He wants to classify the claims as either having been "approved", "denied", or "remanded".
- Each file has a section starting with the string "ORDER" followed by some sentences that explain the decision.
- I suggested that we use regular expressions to:
- extract the "ORDER" section,
- separate the section into separate orders (as each case can involve multiple claims),
- extract the claim from each order, and
- classify each claim as approved or denied depending on whether the string "approved" or "denied" appears in the order regarding that claim.
Problem / Question
- The researcher needs to describe his method in his paper and wants to know what the correct / technical term for this method of classification would be:
I do want to be able to explain each step, including how you changed it to a standard format. Is there a genre of text analysis we can use to classify your ultimate regular expressions approach? It would certainly be data mining, right?