1
$\begingroup$

I understand that we say something as a gold standard when it involves human intervention/judgement/review.

But can someone help me understand what's the difference between probabilistic gold standard and deterministic gold standard.

For ex: Patient has cancer or not - binary response - Deterministic gold standard which can be provided by humans.

Whereas Patient has 60% chance of being a cancer and 40% chance of not being a cancer. Am I right to understand that this is called as probabilistic gold standard but this can't be produced by Humans right?

Can any human/doctor for example, say this patient has 60% chance of being a cancer and 40 % chance of not being a cancer?

$\endgroup$
3
$\begingroup$

No, deterministic probability is when you know for certain. If a person does not have a diagnosis, then he doesn't have the disease/condition. Doctors are not supposed to give a probability but we as human beings always like to know the likelihood.

For example, person A who is 27 years old who has the coronavirus is highly unlikely to die of the virus but it's not impossible.

| improve this answer | |
$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the response. Upvoted $\endgroup$ – The Great Mar 9 at 13:52
  • $\begingroup$ can there by gold standards in probabilities? $\endgroup$ – The Great Mar 9 at 13:52
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, for example, if you toss a coin, then the probability of it landing on either heads or tails is definitely 0.5, that's the gold standard. In health care related stuff, a person who has a flu will definitely have a cold but not the vice versa. $\endgroup$ – Danny Mar 9 at 14:20
  • $\begingroup$ Can help me with this please? datascience.stackexchange.com/questions/69493/… $\endgroup$ – The Great Mar 11 at 5:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.