IPython is a feature-rich interactive shell for Python, and provides a kernel for frontends such as IPython Notebook and Jupyter Notebook.
IPython provides a rich architecture for interactive computing with Python. It includes:
- A powerful interactive terminal shell.
- A Python kernel for frontends such as the ipython-notebook and the jupyter-notebook.
- Support for interactive data visualization and use of GUI toolkits.
- Flexible, embeddable interpreters to load into your own projects.
- Easy to use, high performance tools for parallel computing (ipython-parallel).
The IPython 3.x release series is the last where IPython is released as one big package. Starting with IPython 4.0, the parts which work for any language are called Jupyter, while the parts specific to executing Python code remain as IPython.
IPython 5.0 is the last major release to support Python 2.x.